Connecticut News Junkie: Two Women with Disabilities Receive Temporary Reprieve (August 15, 2022)
Two Connecticut women with disabilities who sued the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services over Medicaid coverage lost to a Trump administration rule change received a temporary reprieve last week.
The Department of Justice told the Department of Social Services it would not enforce the regulations for the next few weeks. That means, Brenda Moore and Deborah Carr will be able to keep their Medicaid benefits until later next month, but that doesn’t resolve the issue for disability rights advocates.
“Overwhelmingly, people want to live in their communities. This is especially true during a pandemic. Any loss of Medicaid benefits disproportionately impacts low-income older adults of color, who are already most at risk of institutionalization and illness due to structural health inequities,” Carol Wong, associate litigation director, Justice in Aging, said.