This webinar took place on Thursday, April 13, 2023 at 11:00 a.m. PT/2:00 p.m. ET.
Applying for SSI and Social Security benefits is a challenging process, and is even more difficult for individuals facing barriers such as mental illness or housing instability. This webinar, SSI and Social Security Applications and Appeals, provides information on recent efforts in California to provide assistance with applying for and retaining SSI and Social Security benefits, including best practices and challenges in assisting with applications and appeals, and policy considerations for improving the application process.
Who Should Participate:
Advocates working with older adults and people with disabilities who are eligible for SSI.
- Monica S. Sousa, Legal Director – Rural Justice Unit, California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. – CRLA
- Rebecca Watson, Managing Director, Change Well Project
- Trinh Phan, Director, State Income Security, Justice in Aging
- Tanya McGary, Supervising Attorney, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- Melissa Reed, PhD, Program Coordinator, Housing and Disability Advocacy Program – HDAP, Homeless Service Programs, Transitions Mental Health Association